Wednesday, May 15, 2013

I've been thinking about cycling lately.

Let's admit, things haven't exactly been sunshine and bubbles for the higher end of our athletic endeavor. Just this morning, two riders were busted for what appears to be the newest drugs, something like #24601 (wait, that's the Les Miserables prisoner number... drama teacher reference) or something like that...

I can hear the collective rumbling of sponsors, in the distance, running away.

Unless pharmaceutical companies pony up, things aren't exactly looking bright for the sport right now.

Until I rode last night's training race.

Now, I'm no math wizard, but I could swear I saw a good 40 riders in the B pack last night. Not to mention a good 25 plus for the C, and 15-20 for the A's. That's not bad for a Tuesday night. Not to mention the fact that I'm pretty sure an impressive junior won our race.

Hey, shut up. The kid was fast. And aggressive.

Add to that wonderment the concept that the Wednesday Night Mountain Bike Series last week debuted with over 150 riders. Not too shabby considering a $20 entry fee and $30 parking pass (for the whole year, that is).

My son, to add compliment to healing (get it?), is even racing tonight.

Life might just be perfect.

So, I guess my point is that maybe the pros aren't our solution. Maybe the good old grass roots, get together and bust your ass, finish with a beer kind of racing is where it's at. Cycling is about having fun, coughing up a lung, and sharing stories about it. It's not about drug #59838592301 or any jackhole who takes it.

Let's just keep our races going, support the clubs and shops who put them on, and keep attacking.

Now if I could just get everyone to collectively agree to NEVER yell "hup hup" when someone attacks, that would be great.

I know, wishful thinking.

-Pat

2 comments: